Today, if a company isn’t online, they are considered to be behind the times and don’t get as much exposure as other businesses that are already online. Business needs to stay well informed and on-trend to make sure their reputation isn’t tarnished online without them knowing. Unfortunately, all internet or social media newcomers that own Read More ...
Sometimes referred to as rep management, online reputation management or ORM, reputation management is the practice of attempting to shape public perception of a person, organization or business by influencing their information online. It is a great tool to utilize when identifying what other people or businesses are saying or feeling about a person, business or organization. There are certain steps one can take to ensure their public image isn’t tainted by bad publicity.
Why Is Reputation Management Important To Myself and My Business?
As a person or business, an online public image can mean everything to you or the selling of a product. If an individual or company has a negative image online, the public may stay away, and that is bad news if you have a great product to sell. Reputation management is taking a negative comment and explaining yourself or product and putting that product or yourself back into a more positive light – especially if the negative comment(s) aren’t genuine and are ruining your online reputation.
Examples Of Reputation Management
An excellent example of reputation management use would be on sites like eBay and Amazon, where customers can leave both product and company reviews. Reputation management efforts primarily target Google searching when looking for one’s online reputation. Take a look at BrightPast reputation management protection plans that can give you a clear understanding of what can be done to improve your online image. A business, person or organization can hire a reputation management firm that will do the following for them:
- Improves tagging and Search Engine Optimizaton of company-published materials.
- Publishing original, positive websites and social media profiles. This is done to hopefully outperform conflicting results in a search engine when one searches for a business, organization or person.
- They can submit a legal take-down request if someone believes they have been libeled.
- Proactively offering free products to prominent reviewers
- They can remove online mugshots
- They can positively react to public criticism
- Submitted online press releases to websites with high authority to promote a brand and to suppress negative content.
Reputation management firms can do much more for a business, person or organization; those are just the tip of the iceberg. Read on for more information on reputation management firms to learn what they are and what they can do for a company or person in need to get some negative press out of their online life.